Translate

February 13, 2012

What to eat?

Here I was, working away and next thing I know, it's 12:30pm.  With a workout and run coming up in a couple of hours, "I must eat now or else it'll be too close to my workout," I thought.

Note: Eating to close to a workout, unless it's a very light snack, is never a good thing...all sorts of things can go wrong.

I opened the fridge and tried to figure out what quick lunch I could make that was loaded with protein, nutrients, but moderate in carbs and low in fat.  I thought about a tuna sandwich, but I wasn't in the mood for that.  All of my chicken was frozen, so that was not an option.  I looked at the carton of eggs and it stared back at me...I would make an omelet.

I pulled out the eggs and the cheddar cheese.  Then took a look into my vegetable drawer.  I wanted color, so

Green = Broccoli
Yellow = Bell Pepper
Red = Bell Pepper
Orange = Tomato
White = Onion

I started by heating up the skillet while I chopped the veggies.  Once the skillet was hot, I added the vegetables.


Once the vegetables were almost cooked as I like them, I added the egg to the other side of the skillet.  
Note:  If you don't have a double burner skillet, you can just use two different skillets.


 Once the bottom side was cooked, I flipped the egg and added cheddar cheese.


Next came time to top the egg with the veggies.  Place the veggies only one half of the egg.


Fold the egg in half.  Let the egg heat up for 1 minute and then flip.


...and my omelet was done.  Quick and easy.



The picture above doesn't really show the veggie goodness inside, so here's a picture to show you the filling inside this delicious omlet.

DELISH!!!

P.S.  The reason I was looking for something low in carbs is because I had juiced an apple, orange, nectarine, and cucumber.  Obviously, I had the sugar from the juices to help fuel my workout.  The veggies also have complex carbs to help as well.  Carbs are not evil, as long as you have the right ones (complex carbs) and as far as refined or simple sugars go, everything in moderation.  If you are an active person (or not), you should NEVER cut out all the carbs from your diet.  You will run your body down and into exhaustion.

Today is my strength day + 3 miles, so I plan on doing my strength workout at home and then trying a new running route I found on mapmyrun.com
Tip for runners:  If you find you are getting bored with your runs, on your next run go on a run with out a route in mind (run aimlessly) or look up common running routes online.  I use mapmyrun.commapmyrun.com.

Hope everyone has a great week.  Thanks for stopping by.

Andi


No comments:

Post a Comment