Translate

December 10, 2013

Leg Day Treadmill Run



Most of the country is experiencing very cold, snowy, and icy weather.  I happen to like running in the rain and snow, but sometimes I'm just not up for the cold weather tied to it.  So, yesterday was my leg day and instead of running outside I decided to use the treadmill for my run and incorporate my simple go-to leg workout.  Treadmills are mentally agonzing for me, so when I need/want to use one, it's usually a speed day or an interval day.  Yesterday I did an interval workout, but not what we are used to in running.  I decided to incorporate my leg day with intervals and this is how I did that.

Leg Day Run
1 mile warmup
12 Squats (weighted for intermediate & advanced)
24 Walking Lunges (Focus on form, not speed - weighted for intermediate & advanced)
24 Step Calf Raises

.5 mile - at a slightly faster pace than the warmup
12 Squats (weighted for intermediate & advanced
24 Walking Lunges (Focus on form, not speed - weighted for intermediate & advanced)
24 Step Calf Raises
REPEAT 3 more times slightly increasing your pace each .5 miles

Just so you can get an idea of what I mean my slightly faster, my times were:

Warmup- 10 min/mile
.5 mile - 9:50 min/mile
.5 mile - 9:40 min/mile
.5 mile - 9:31 min/mile
.5 mile - 9:22 min/mile

Depending on your fitness level, you can go faster/slower or make the pace differences less or more.

For runners, I always encourage leg days be either Monday or Tuesday to ensure your legs and glutes have ample time to recover before your long run (which is usually the weekend).

As always, feel free to leave a comment or question.

Thanks.

Your Personal Trainer,
Coach Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment