Translate

April 4, 2012

Hail at the Track

I was so excited this past summer about the fact that I was turning 30.  Most people dread the day.  Not me.  I was in celebration mode.  I made it to 30 feeling great...better than ever actually.

Now that months have past and before you know it I'll be 31, I'm wondering why in the world I thought turning 30 was so awesome.  I thought the whole "it's all downhill after 30" line was just a bunch of baloney, but I'm starting to see the light.  No! Not that light.  I've still got a long life ahead of me. (God willing)

Not only is my skin starting to show signs of aging (which is really freaking me out), but my health just isn't the same.  Sometimes I feel like I'm just falling apart, literally.

Over the past few weeks I have had the stomach virus, suffered major allergies, developed severe acid reflux, and have a bad case of post nasal drip.  Then, this past weekend, while on my 20 mile run with Wear Blue: Run to Remember, my knee and foot were bothering me from the start of the run cutting my run short.  I ran just under 14 miles and had to take naproxen, stretch, and ice for the rest of the weekend.  My knee was hurting so much I could barely walk.  What is going on??? 

Well, I do have to say that the whole knee issue was my fault.  I didn't get enough miles in the week before and hadn't been stretching.  My IT Band and hamstring complex must have been really tight causing the knee pain.  But still! 

I'm glad to say, however, that with my treatment, my knee is feeling 100%.  All I had to do was RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate).  Added some stretching and I'm all better.  It only took 2 days.  I'm really glad I stopped running when I did because I could have done serious damage.

I had a speed workout at the track planned with WB:R2R on Tuesday and wanted to make sure my knee was ok, so I hit the gym for a 2 mile easy run on the treadmill.  I wound up doing a tempo run to test out different speeds to make sure I was REALLY fine.  I finished that run feeling great and ready for my track workout.

While at the track, it started hailing.  I thought it would be a short storm that would last a minute or so, but nope.  It hailed for a good 10 minutes or more.  All our wear blue runners toughed it out and finished the run.  Thank goodness I had a hoodie because those little pieces of ice were hurting my face.





Even with the hail it was a great workout and a great evening with my wear blue family.  We had laughs and great conversations.  Running with great company is always awesome.



1 comment:

  1. As someone who just turned 31, I can greatly sympathize. The ol' body just can't take the same "punishment" as it used to.

    ReplyDelete